Sunday, September 29, 2013

BUSY, SAD 9 DAYS

Since my last post, 9 days ago, much has changed in my life.  I say 'much' because one person has left my life and that person had been present and loving me for 64+ years (if you count the days in the womb) - my Mother.

She was 87, had been ill for the past 2-3 months, and had lived an almost-reclusive life for several years.  I wish these last few years had been different for her, but they weren't -- the result of losing a child (my brother) before his time.

I received the news last Sunday (just a week ago), about this time of morning.  A phone call from the assisted living facility telling me she had passed.  On Monday, I was on a plane to Spokane where I was met by my cousin.  Love my cousin -- he had already taken care of several important things, paving the way for me to do what I needed to do:  finish with arrangements, clean out her apartment, meet with a lawyer, move apartment items to storage or Goodwill, and - finally - celebrate her life with family.  All went smoothly, and my husband, son and I returned to San Diego yesterday (Friday).  So few days to take care of 87 years.

There is still work to be done.  Storage unit to be cleaned out and bequests to be handled.  Certainly not 87 years worth of work, however.

So glad I had been able to visit my Mother 2 weeks ago, if only for a few days.

I am back, getting ready to move back into my routine.  Interesting that as I spent time on FB this morning, I felt much more able to speak out, and much more questioning about the motives of this 'business' we are in -- yoga.  It is, after all, now a 'business' -- witness the maneuverings of YogaGlo (attempting to 'patent' the way they film classes for subscribers).  To me, it represents shooting themselves in the foot.  I also am looking at all the promotions, 'selfies', attempts to promote oneself (including mine).  Wondering if it is really what we ought to be doing, or could it be done differently.

Teaching is what I really want to do, not promote, not film, not post pictures of myself or the words I write in this blog.  Yoga is a valuable tool to wellness - physical and emotional.  I just wish people would come to me for that reason, not because I'm cute (not) and popular (double not).  I wish people would come to my classes because they want to learn about yoga, refine their practice, laugh a bit, enjoy experiencing the wisdom of their bodies -- such good stuff.

The week will bring some new experiences and new classes into my realm.  I'll keep you posted on my website, www.skillfulyoga.com, because it is - after all - a 'business', as much as I don't like the idea.

Hope you have a great and peaceful Sunday,

2 comments:

Sadia said...

I am so sorry for your loss Leslie. May her soul rest in peace.

Metta.

Sadia said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Leslie. May her soul rest in peace.