Monday, November 30, 2015

SIX YEARS AGO . . .

Six years ago, yesterday, I turned 60 (if you do the math, that means that today I'm 66).  I bored you with a countdown to the dramatic day in which I turned 60. Turns out it was pretty anti-climactic, but the countdown made it fun (for me).

So, today I am 66.  I still teach 7 yoga classes each week, and continue to sign up for workshops and webinars as often as possible. (If you hear an audible 'groan', that is from my students as they heard or read the word 'webinar'.)

But, I still learn so much from those 'groan' webinars!

Today, I finished a 2-part webinar on hamstring health done by Julie Gudmestad (YogaUOnline).  In the first session, Julie talked about the reasons for tight hamstrings. Exercise, lack of exercise, physical make-up -- all can contribute to our ability or inability to stretch out these 3 muscles on the back of our thighs.  Loose (flexible) hamstrings can also create an issue for our students.

One thing I learned from this first part is that strengthening the muscles is the first stage of creating flexibility.  I know, Adam or Sundari, you both told me this in countless yoga classes, but I forget -- remember, I'm 66 now. It was a good reminder. Julie explained that a strong set of hamstrings has greater blood supply, helping to create beefier muscle fibers to stretch. Strong and energized muscles are also safer to stretch.  So, strengthen first then lengthen.

Part 2 reminded me that several factors affect hamstring tightness - some students may have more connective tissue in their muscles, which will limit flexibility; adductor, performis and gluteal muscles will also affect flexibility of the hamstrings; and, in adolescence, bone growth may exceed tissue growth, creating short hamstrings.

Interesting fact from the 'groan' webinar:  Allowing hands to ‘dangle’ - due to tightness in hamstrings - is only tightening / contracting the muscles that make up the hamstrings. As we angle forward from our hips, the hamstring muscles shift into a lengthening contraction - ecentric contraction; however, once you ‘dangle' in that forward fold, the muscles go into an isometric contraction, shortening and tightening. Solution: a block under the hands (or something of sufficient height to keep back in a safe position).

So, armed with this information, I am off to teach.  And, I have students with tight hamstrings.  I also now have some safe, effective ways in which to work.

Hope you have a great Monday!

No comments: