Sunday, March 13, 2016

A FEW QUICK THOUGHTS ...

I fully intend to write more on this blog. And, since I can't come up with a topic to write a lot about, I'll be satisfied with just a few thoughts:

Having taught yoga for 13 years, I am finally 'coming into my own'. What does that mean? Well, I feel wanted. Not just because one or two studios would like me to teach for them, but because students are also seeking out my classes.  For this, I offer my gratitude to my teachers.

The things I was taught along my path are now bearing fruit. Students come to class - not to be entertained or to exercise, but (I believe) to learn more about yoga.

Why do I think that?  Well, my classes are focused on teaching the intricacies of the practice, which is NOT everyone's 'cup of tea'. The student who comes to my class will receive the nuances of our poses. We may not 'get to the pose' right away, but my goal is to 'get to the pose' in the best way possible -- without pain and in good alignment.  So far, so good.

The Teacher Training I have been guiding is also going well. My community of Fallbrook is small, but has a mighty desire to practice yoga. The studio is busy. There are five brave souls holding court with me two times each week. We talk anatomy, philosophy, teaching methods, adjustments/modifications, etc. And, we sprinkle in a liberal dose of workshop experiences, including arm balances, sound, Ayurveda, etc.  I am impressed that each comes with a strong desire to learn and to teach, and each has their unique voice to add to our sessions. I am feeling very happy to be in their company.

Guiding a teacher training has enriched my learning, as well.  I've read several great books:

  • I am just now about mid-way through Chakras and their Archetypes - not necessarily a YOGA book, but a good correlation between the way we are (due to genetics, upbringing, etc.) and the Chakras. 
  • The Mirror of Yoga by Richard Freeman, is also a good one. I am not a philosophy geek (anatomy speaks loudly to me), and this book was easy for me to read and provided good reminders and some 'ah-ha' moments.
  • Functional Anatomy of Yoga by David Kiel is the anatomy book I chose for the teacher training. I asked each student to purchase a copy and we are working our way through it week by week. (I did read the book before making this decision.) What I like about the book is that it tells us - in an easy-to-read style - about the basic anatomy, with a section on how our poses affect this anatomy.
  • Warrior Self by Ted Cox. I purchased copies of this book for the teacher training students while attending the Kindred Spirits Reunion a few weeks ago. It basically is a translation of the Bhagavad Gita into metaphor. Great book - we are reading it chapter-by-chapter alongside a translation of the Gita by Stephen Mitchell.
  • Next on my reading list are hunger, hope & healing by Sarajoy Marsh (who I also met at the Kindred Spirits Reunion); and Age Without Limits by Janet Rae Humphrey (this will be a great resource for students who practice yoga but are dealing with injury, chronic condition, or aging issues).  
I mentioned the Kindred Spirits Reunion a couple times in my book list.  It was a really enjoyable weekend retreat in Austin, TX, organized by Betsy Downing and Desiree Rumbaugh. I arrived on Friday, not really sure what I was getting into (I'd not attended last year's event.).  I found my room and settled in a bit (long travel day from San Diego), then walked over to the yoga/event center for a Restorative Class (I re-discovered my hips there - thank you, Phil Davis). We joined after class for dinner - wonderful food, by the way. Up the next morning for a guided meditation, breakfast, short break, then we gathered for a forward folds class (taught by a group of 5, including Barbara Kuhl, Martha McQuaid, Jackie Romero, Patrice Barrocas and myself). Lunch followed, and after lunch we gathered to hear about the great efforts of current and former Anusara teachers, including books, teaching, history, etc. (in all, I think 5 people spoke -- VERY IMPRESSIVE AND ENERGIZING). Sunday morning, we gathered again for a meditation guided by Carmel Calcagno, then breakfast, a short break, re-gather for a class with Christina Sell, Jason Lobo and Elle Potter. Then home. If this event happens next year, I'll be there.

Well, a few thoughts hav blossomed to a long essay.  I'll close now, saving some for the next post.  

Hope you all have a great day!



No comments: