Tuesday, February 17, 2009

PUSHING UP

One of the poses that presents a real challenge for me is urdhva dhanurasana (UD). (Remember, I was a golfer!)

Until the Level II Teacher Training in Boston (10/2008), I had done very few by myself and those were weak at best (bent arms, head 2-3 inches from floor). Something about being with John, tho, brings out a level of strength in me that I don't experience in any other settings. I was able (there) to push up with his help; then, the next day by myself - bent arms, but still up.

Since that training, I've resolved to include UD more often in my practice. Working with Adam Ballenger, Wayne Belles and (yesterday) Matt Newman, that pose is now a more regular part of my practice.

I mentioned yesterday, in particular, since Matt asked me to demo the pose (using his ankles). Ahh, the sweet smell of success -- straight arms and all. Granted it was using ankles, but each time we (or our students) experience a pose using props, our bodies get a feel for what that experience is; setting the stage for future breakthroughs.

At the end of Matt's class, it was hard to contain my excitement through savasana. The thought that I needed to try UD by myself kept recurring. As savasana ended, and the class closed, I debated -- should I try? or should I avoid potential failure? I slowly gathered and put away props (waiting for everyone to leave the room, so that - if I decided to try - no one would see the result -- you could say I can be pessimistic, at times).

I decided to give it a try. Just to help, I put my hips on a block (a little headstart) - set my feet and hands, pushed to the top of my head, re-set my shoulders, pressed into the floor and went up. Elbows still bent a bit, but oh so much straighter than ever before. THEN, I DID IT AGAIN!

UD may just become one of my favorite poses.

Take care!

No comments: