Sunday, March 29, 2009

BUSTING OUT

Yesterday's class theme was "throwing off our cloaks". To get everyone (including me) in the mood, I put on the big hoop earrings and I didn't let myself take them off.

My heart quality was 'courage' -- after all, it does take courage to wear big hoop earrings to teach a yoga class (for me, anyway). I used shoulder loop, once again, as the alignment principle to focus on; what better way to get rid of your cloak, than to get your shoulder blades firmly on your back - bringing your heart forward -- how dare a cloak cling to our nice, straight backs.

This is a level 1 class (which I just started in January). Attendance has been growing slowly, but steadily, and some are just getting the Anusara™ "lingo". I gave most of those attending yesterday their first foray into handstand.

What do we look for to assure students are ready to give handstand a try?
  1. Do they understand, and are they, melting their heart when on hands & knees in table?
  2. Can they hold AMS (down dog) with straight arms and stable, firmly planted hands?
  3. What's their confidence level? This is something you will find out as you take them towards the pose.

I decided to ask students to take mats to the wall and do "L" pose. On the second go-round, I had one student who was confident in doing this pose (so she was a good one to do a demo); as I held her hips, she took her feet away from the wall. From there, I just worked around the room -- my holding hips, students taking legs up. A couple declined (injury), but everyone else gave it a try. Everyone did "L", tho, which - I think - is a lot tougher than doing handstand with someone assisting you.

Fun class --

Then, I subbed the 10:45 Yoga Basics. Everyone was beyond Basics, so we worked on Ardha Chandrasana (new pose to many of them). I often introduce this pose at the wall -- letting people feel the full extension this pose offers, without worrying about falling. All enjoyed it, so - since I still had my earrings in - we took it back to the middle of the room and did the pose there. Success and fun.

Taking a class today -- it's time to be taught, not teach.

No comments: