Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SHOULDER THERAPY

I took Matt Newman's class yesterday morning at Kula. It's a Power/Level 1-2 Anusara™-Inspired class. Luckily for me, there were two other people in the class with shoulder issues to consider (Remember that face plant a few weeks ago while skiing; the one that left me with a sore right shoulder?).

Result: Matt kept chaturanga's 'therapeutic' and limited in number, and - while we did do shoulder work - emphasis was also on the hips and hamstrings, which I always need. Things I noted during the practice, which I will find helpful for my students with injuries:
  1. Releasing from a pose or moving without maintaining muscle energy resulted in discomfort in my shoulder. I know this and I teach this, but there's no greater teacher to give us a gentle reminder than an injury.
  2. Surya yantrasana was actually more uncomfortable on the side where the leg was back behind the unaffected shoulder (I was using the hand on the injured shoulder side to hold the foot, pulling on the sore shoulder). This blog requires 'visualization' -- a valuable tool, I'm finding. That surprised me, because I assumed a leg over my injured shoulder would force it forward, causing pain. Not so, because by then, we were appropriately warmed up, the shoulder stayed in it's home and the pose felt good on that side. I need to pay attention to the shoulder being seated on on both sides.

Some of you may be going "duh!, girl -- don't you know this by now". I'm finding there is so much knowledge stuffed in my head that I often get reminders that bring that knowledge forth. One valuable reason to attend public classes.

Take care,

No comments: