Saturday, April 11, 2009

IT'S ALL ABOUT WHO COMES TO CLASS

On Thursday, I teach at 9 am at the Sanderson Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, here in Salt Lake City. I've been teaching this class regularly since January. Population is small: 3 regulars who vary in their level of hearing loss plus 1-2 hearing.

This past week, my regulars arrived (a side note, once they arrive all my signing skills leave me -- what's that about?). We started to set up, the door opens and in come 5 students new to me. All hearing and fluent in yoga.

Class started quietly, as it usually does, but - as I got into teaching - I found my hearing voice and began speaking. Then, I remembered -- what about the primary audience for this class? The ladies who have little or no hearing skills. Had I forgotten them? Luckily - as I'm sure they've learned over the years - they are resilient and observant. They were following along by observing their neighbors. Also luckily, I noticed my tendency to fall back on that hearing voice, and went back to trying to sign as I talked.

As I reflect on the signs I tried to use - plus those that I have learned in class these past few weeks. I wonder what they see me saying? Because some of the things I'm signing are "leslie-isms", as in 'made up as I go along'.

It was wonderful - tho, to watch the interaction between the deaf and the hearing (at least those who knew sign language) after class. I'm sure I learned something from that -- if only that states are fingerspelled according to their abbreviation.

Point of this post: In any class, I can't forget there is someone who may not have the skill of the others, who may be dealing with an injury, or - as in this case - cannot hear me. Everyone must get my attention and my teaching. I'll teach to the group, without forgetting that one student who might need a bit extra of my time/effort.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: