Thursday, April 9, 2009

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS ...

Just spent the first 45 minutes of my morning trying to figure out how to get the ® symbol into this blog. But, I figured it out and now I can write the many next installments of this blog using ® and ™ where correct and appropriate.

After reading and signing my Anusara-Inspired™ contract and studying the new website, it becomes apparent that the use of these symbols - just like how we name our classes and label ourselves in the Anusara® world - is of importance to John and Anusara®. Therefore, it's up to each of us - as teachers, students, studio owners - to honor that. (Remember, one of the qualities of a good yoga teacher is to remember and honor our teachers.)

Hate to go on a pet peeve discussion this early in the morning, but so long as I'm on the topic - here it is. As an Anusara-Inspired™ instructor, I have signed a contract with Anusara® to list classes on my teaching schedule as Anusara-Inspired™ not Anusara®. Because I'm a born & bred 'play by the rules' kind of woman, I adhere to that for myself and my instructors.

It troubles me that some studios feel they can push the envelope, labeling classes as Anusara® when they are being taught by an Inspired instructor. That creates a situation where the studio owner is placing the instructor in jeopardy of losing their license with Anusara®, not to mention the misrepresentation of that class to students. (It also doesn't say much about the fortitude of the instructor who allows it to happen.)

(The use of Level I, Level II, etc., is a way of skirting the issue. If you read class descriptions, there is no mention of these classes being taught by Anusara-Inspired™ instructors. They are careful to talk about Anusara® without coming out and calling it an Anusara® class. )

So something 'little' just got 'big'. Breathe, Leslie. You've said it, now let it go.

I can celebrate - tho - I now know how to do something new with my blog that will make me feel better about the way I type it in the future.

Thank you for listening (reading). To any readers who are not teachers (or who don't know me), you've just seen my fiery side. A shock, I know, but it does exist.

Another snowy morning -- will this ever end?

No comments: