Tuesday, April 14, 2009

MONDAY NOTES ON TUESDAY

Well, the 'every day' blogging is now history -- I missed Monday (in case you didn't miss it). So, here it is Tuesday and I'll just pick up where I dropped off -- no berating myself, no feeling guilty, just get on with it!

I spent yesterday with my family -- husband, grandsons, son, & daughter-in-law. My 2 1/2 year old grandson, Jack, LOVES trains. He is an avid Thomas fan (has more engines that he knows what to do with). Has been unwavering in his love for the train table for over six months now.

So, we had a big lesson in diksha (threshhold) yesterday. Howard and I suggested that - since Howard needed to fly out of San Diego in the afternoon - we take Jack with us on the train from Carlsbad to downtown San Diego. Jack and I would then meet his Daddy (my son) and return to Carlsbad on the train.

We didn't tell Jack about this plan until early in the morning, because of the anticipation it would cause (not to mention the constant questioning "train?", "train?", "train?". My fear was that as the day progressed, he might decide that going on the train with Grandpa RJ and Baba was just too risky, too out of his comfort zone, and would refuse to go. Departure time from the house was 2:30 p.m.

At 2:15 p.m. I went downstairs, ready to pack up, and found Jack with his shirt and shoes/socks off, playing. Not a good sign, I thought. But, his Mother quickly got him dressed, packed his backpack, and we were ready to go. But, I wondered, would he really go? We had to drive 2 miles to the train station, so we loaded up Jack & suitcases, started the car, backed out of the driveway. Jessie (Mother) stood in the driveway, waving as we started to drive away.

Did he fuss? Did he start to scream "Mama, Mama"? Did he cry and refuse to calm down?

No, he smiled bravely at her and waved exuberantly. We were off. The train ride was great -- he noticed everything, he watched the beaches and sights as we rode south, ate snacks, and - when we arrived - he confidently walked (holding my hand) from the train to the cab to say goodbye to Grandpa RJ. We then went into the station to wait for his Daddy, for the return home.

Needless to say, he feel asleep as soon as we put him in his car seat back at the Carlsbad station -- I am sure there was a lot of emotional stress involved in this trip for him. But, what a trooper. And, what an example of how the loves of our life (for Jack, trains), will expand our view of life.

What a day! Worth missing a post.

No comments: