Friday, August 28, 2009

TURMOIL

We never enjoy turmoil in our lives. And, we never expect to find it in the yoga world -- after all, aren't we supposed to be calm, loving, go-with-the-flow types of people?

Worse yet, in this merry band called Anusara®, who would ever think that turmoil, personal battles, egos, etc., would ever DARE to raise their ugly heads? But, they do -- even in our small kula of Salt Lake City.

I won't go into detail. Suffice it to say, it will be a learning experience for all. For me, it creates a sadness; a sense of loss. At the same time, it is important to keep moving forward. The challenge will be to stay connected to all the parties involved in this rift, recognizing that each is an important part of my life -- a part that I'm not willing to let go of, but must recognize and accept that the dynamics of each relationship will change.

I also have many great things to focus on - my teaching, my continued journey, my students, my relationships within the extended kula.

The reality is that we are human; even those of us who dedicate our yoga practice to Anusara® Yoga. And, as such, we are blessed with human frailties and shortcomings. Enough said.

Today is Friday -- what happens on Friday? I teach! Gentle Yoga this morning; then, I'm subbing a class this evening for my friend, Jen. Both classes are Anusara-Inspired™. One gentle (obviously) and one more energetic. Fun!

The challenge in subbing for Jen is that she is younger, more flexible, more adept at much of the asana, not to mention a very different type of instructor than I am (tho we're both Inspired™). Don't get me wrong -- I'm not discounting my skills, just stating fact; we couldn't be more different. We started our journey into Anusara® at about the same time; in fact, Jen convinced me to attend our first teacher training with Desiree Rumbaugh. The rest is history.

What Jen and I do share is laughter. Rarely are we together that we don't find something to laugh about -- to the point of being 'teenager silly'. We have fun, as friends do.

Her students will have to step back a bit, embrace their 'beginner mind', and - perhaps - take a tidbit or two away from my teaching. Things we all must do when we encounter a different teacher standing in for one of our favorites.

Now, what do I teach these students? (Note to self: read previous post -- I may already know the answer.)

Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: