Monday, November 23, 2009

SILLY, SERIOUS 6 (Six)

The serious side of me is thinking this way of 'counting up' to my big day is a bit silly.  And, just about the time I think "pull the plug on it, Leslie", someone comments. 

The definition of 'silly', according to Merriam Webster is just what you'd think -- frivolous, trifling, weak in intellect.  Go back, however, to the etymology of the word and you find 'akin to old High German salig (happy).  I like 'happy' much better than 'weak in intellect' - DUH, I wonder why?

The definition of 'serious', also according to MW, is thoughtful or subdued in manner; not trifling or joking; requiring much thought or work.  The etymology of serious is 'akin to Old English word for heavy, sad'.

Big opposites -- happy & frivolous vs.subdued & sad. 

My impression of what people think of me -- quiet, subdued, introverted (sad?).  There are times I wish I were frivolous, a bit silly; and there are times I do let some silly in.  It's a balance I  sometimes find.  When I find it, it feels good; it feels right.  Finding it is the challenge.  (BTW, teaching yoga has allowed me greater access; as in, I do often find the balance as I teach a class.)

Just like my yoga practice, it is finding the balance between hardening & softening, pulling in energy & extending out, laughing & being serious (yes, even in yoga); taking time yet not so much time that I lose the momentum.  I could go on and on with balance examples that happen during my asana practice (besides just standing on one leg). 

I'm writing this blog as a household crisis is happening; so finding a balance between writing and pulling away from the blog to offer support. 

The place in the middle (mudhya).  Always the place in the middle. 

Have a great Monday,

No comments: