Thursday, January 14, 2010

KALI ON MY MIND ...

Last night's session with Sally Kempton was amazing -- to sit and listen to someone whose information I've only read, was enlightening and I now understand why people enjoy and relate to her teaching.

This on-line and teleconference course is titled "Dancing With The Divine" and is an exploration of the Goddess energy within us all (and everything) through meditation, contemplative practices, etc.

First, was Sally's voice -- calm, soothing, yet peppered with intonations and just enough 'slang' to make her message understandable and interesting to listen to.  Have you ever sat through a session on philosophy, intent on 'learning this stuff', only to find yourself nodding off (for me, a result of not fully understanding what the speaker has to say and - truth be told - what he/she did say was boring)?  Well, none of this here.  I was fully present through every one of the 90 minutes that Sally spoke.

Then came the stories -- stories of Durga, Kali, Lakshmi & Saraswati; though we made it just deeply into Kali last night.  I love to teach a class, using the icons of Hindu deities that rest on the puja at The Yoga Center.  First caveat to students -- I don't pray to or worship these statues, they are here to contemplate, to remind me of their 'stories', their qualities and flaws, and - perhaps - to incorporate some of the positive attributes these deities represent into my life.

Her guided meditation was powerful -- leading us into a space that took us up to Kali, introduced us to her, and offered us use of her 'tools' to begin our journey into understanding and embracing the Goddess energies around and in us.

We all, men and women, have the Goddess energies within us -- and our journey, our path, will be towards balancing them within ourselves.  Just enough of each to give us a powerful, compassionate, beautiful presence in the world.

So, it was good.  No need for the earlier trepidation.  I survived.  I learned.  And, I look forward to next week.  Though I need to find a land-line with a better speaker situation.  A bit of a stiff neck this morning from cradling the receiver.  A little yoga, perhaps?

First, tho, I've got to take this Mac in for a lesson and to figure out why the e-mail is being less than cooperative (couldn't be operator error, could it?).

Tots Yoga went o.k. yesterday -- as with all classes at The Yoga Center, growth is slow.  So, the fact that two were in the class for the first class was good.  I am glad it's Melissa and not me teaching that group -- would wear me out, not to mention the creativity required to keep their attention and work on their focus skills.  Whoaa!!

Gentle Yoga continues to grow.  Perhaps its just January and resolution fever; or perhaps it's a recognition that this movement is good for everyone.  This class, in particular, offers camaraderie, laughter, a bit of chatter, AND the magic of Anusara® Yoga.

Have a nice Thursday,

p.s. Grandson Story:  Part of Jack's Christmas present from me was a wall hanging made up of 4 OLD postcards of trains, framed and ready for hanging.  I hesitated sending it right at Christmas (not sure why); instead, sent it this week.  Got a call yesterday -- "Thank you for my picture, Grandma Leslie".  (Such a big boy for just being 3!)  I guess the surprise of a package in January was exciting for him.  The fact that this odd gift for a 3-year-old was well-received, tells you a bit about his enduring love for trains. It also tells me about the power of appreciation -- his call, his mother's description of his reaction, her expression of gratitude over this late gift -- all this makes me so happy.  There's a lesson there I need to remember.

No comments: