Sunday, January 17, 2010

THE POLLS ARE IN . . .

What could I mean by this title?  That last week's class, with Hanumanasana as the apex pose, was a hit!  Each person I've seen who participated in the class has told me they enjoyed the class -- and, that usually doesn't happen.  Sure, people say "thanks for the nice class", as they leave (sometimes true, sometimes not).  Rarely, however, do they come back 3, 4 or 7 days later to tell me they liked the class.

Well, that class is a keeper!  And, for me, a confidence builder.

During last Saturday's class, one student (as we were doing Hanumanasana) said "I need to tell you a story".  Well, everyone was pretty chatty after class, so she left without telling me the story.  She was back in class yesterday, and I asked her if she still wanted to tell me 'the story'.  Her story?  That when she started yoga, 15+ years ago, her intention for starting a yoga practice was to learn to do the splits!!!  I think that, with maybe 5 exceptions (in 15 years, mind you), she has attended class EVERY Saturday morning.  Either she is a patient waiter, as in - someday, "someone is going to teach me the splits"; or something else about the practice speaks to her.

I think it's the latter -- I know I wouldn't have 15 years worth of patience just waiting for one pose.

So, yesterday, we worked on eka pada rajakapotasana (epr, for short).  Warmed everyone up, worked on pieces and parts that need to be present to do the pose (and also are frequently mis-aligned).  A varied level of experience in the class, so we worked with a strap.  A good pose to teach the value of muscle energy and softening -- all at the same time.

Might get the cross country skis out today -- that's if we can find the boots.

Hope you have a great Sunday,

No comments: