Thursday, March 10, 2011

AND, ON THE OTHER 'FRONTS' . . .

My last post related to teaching at The Yoga Center and the privates I've been doing over the last many months (It's a Wrap). As in, this chapter of teaching closes. Another one waits to be written/opened/read/whatever.

This morning it is REALLY early - 4 am. Today, the moving van arrives. Last night I slept among boxes with no lamps (except in-wall fixtures), the counter my 'safe haven' of "DO NOT PACK" items (car keys being one example), and my coffee maker safely ensconced in the corner (another do not pack item). I truly had forgotten what 'moving' means - it must fall into the category of birthing pain; once it's over, we forget.
My morning routine stays the same -- up, turn on coffee, take care of teeth-hair-etc., sit, first cup of coffee with the computer. Ahhh, routine. I now know why people do not want to move as they age - had we waited 5 more years, we might have fallen into that category. It's just too much work and it reveals too much about our personalities. Things like:
  • How many pairs of shoes, sweaters, jeans, etc., does one really need?
  • What is lurking on the floor of our closets? (I thought mine were fairly decent, until I got in there.)
  • How about drawers? Are you willing to have someone opening and looking inside the places you tend to 'shove' stuff (for lack of a better, more appropriate, storage spot).
  • Can you remember what that strange piece of grey plastic (4x6) comes from? And, if not, should you throw it away?
  • And, let's not even go into all the mental machinations we have to go through -- breathe, Leslie, breathe.
Using Tal Rachleff's principles of storytelling, here's a brief summation:
You think moving will be a piece of cake, the path to 'nirvana'.
But really, it's a test of your ability to stay calm in the middle of a perfect storm.
So, if you'll just breathe while making lots of lists and use this opportunity to 'clean house'.
Then you'll truly be happier, ready to face the next 'chapter' with steady resolve, knowing you've done the best you can -- purna (Sanskrit: full, perfect).
Well, Tal, it's an attempt.
As you all know, I read several blogs with great dedication (specifically, MariaCristina, Christina Sell, and Karen Sprute-Francovich). There are others on my list that I check in on, plus those my attention is drawn to via Facebook. Good learning from all, and all are very different from one another.
For example, today, MariaCristina writes about allowing her own voice to be good enough, and enjoying the fruits of the acceptance. Karen wrote about the power of standing in tadasana - not such a simple act - and the studentship (adhikara) required. Christina wrote about several things, including time spent with JF recently. One quote jumped off the page: "And again, the guru is not the person who is opening the door. The guru is that function of opening the door."
I loved the quote. And, I think it is important for me to read things like this once in a while. I tend to give people too much power, so this puts JF in perspective for me. Over the years, I cannot negate the influence he and Ansuara® yoga have had on my life. It's 'over-the-top'. But, really, I had to open the door; I had to let something in. JF showed me a way to open the door on another part of my life. Hope that makes sense - it is early, after all.
Today? The BIG truck arrives; packers finish (and I thought I had done a LOT of packing over the past 10 days); truck gets loaded; truck goes somewhere to wait for the journey to California (arriving on the 21st, we think).
As for me (us)? We'll go to a hotel tonight, finish cleaning tomorrow, then it's off to Driggs on Saturday morning. We'll enjoy the vagaries of the Teton Valley in March for about 10 days, then we'll head south (stopping in SLC to pick up one car, 2 cats and 1 bird - dogs will be with us, as well). And then, it's south to the new 'stomping grounds' -- Fallbrook, CA.
Before I sign off, I think I wrote about my grandson, Brady's, diaper rash a few weeks ago (if I didn't, I should have). And, the trust he displayed in me as I cleaned, applied Aquaphor, and re-diapered him? Well, last night, I got a phone call. Initially it was my daughter-in-law, then she put a small voice on the phone (Brady). Why? He wanted to thank me for taking care of his 'red bottom' -- this is one month later, and he was reminded because his little brother now has a 'red bottom'. And, this is from a 2 1/2 year old. So cute!
Mr. B (about 2 months ago)
Enjoy your Thursday,

No comments: