Tuesday, November 22, 2011

LIBRARY CLASS, ETC.

I just re-read yesterday's post; I almost accomplished all of what I hoped to -- all except watching the video. Something is holding me back; perhaps I already know that it's not one to submit.  If not, then what? Have to find a 90-minute class to teach with at least 6 people in attendance; not the easiest task in communities that have shifted to 75 minute class duration.  Something will happen.

The library class was, once again, well attended. Each week I add in a bit more Anusara lingo and influence. This week, it was lining up the mats. With 15 people attending, it is important to be able to see down the rows quickly for any needed alignment enhancements. In previous classes, I have surreptitiously slid mats forward or back to create alignment; yesterday, I explained my rationale and asked students to line up into 3 rows, leaving space for a 4th row in case any late comers arrived (which they did -- HOO-RAY!).

After class, I received a nice compliment from one long-term student. Her take on my teaching? That I keep things casual and easy to accept (I'm paraphrasing here), noting that I don't add in a lot of 'pomp & circumstance', which can make people uncomfortable; that people new to the practice are easily turned away if we 'lay on' the yoga philosophy too heavily.

My first impression of Fallbrook is that the population, as a whole, is friendly yet kept-to-itself, down-to-earth.  And, I'm still getting a feel for the 'personality' each day I live here.  Why tell you this? One of the stories I remember from John Friend is how he began teaching in Texas. He observed his audience and taught from that observation.  I see him do it to this day -- if we are in Los Angeles, you can count on a STRONG practice; if in a more laid-back community, he will ask for our best but in a less demanding format. As a result of observing him and the effectiveness of that teaching style, I look at my audience (my class), in how they live and function day-to-day (as much as I can), and teaching from that place.  For me, humor is a great connector.  And, in this Library class, we do laugh -- or, perhaps, they are just being kind. No matter, I'm having a good time and they're working (isn't this the way it's supposed to be?).  More humor (???).

From Fallbrook, I headed to I-15 and north to Temecula.  It's 10 miles once you get to the I-15. At 4pm, it's kind of a 'toss of the dice' as to what you'll experience.  Once at I-15, you could be looking at a parking lot. Fortunately, that didn't happen last night, and I made it in plenty of time for Ashley's class.

One of the things I've picked up from Sarah (video assessor), is being able to participate in a class and see all the pieces and parts as the teacher (in this case, Ashley) juggles them for our pleasure.  Ashley has the verbiage down and I love to listen to how she instructs - using her own lingo and voice to move us from pose to pose. Her enthusiasm and love of it all comes through loud and clear.  Love it.

Also love that Howard called just as I was leaving the studio, offered to pick up dinner. No cooking - double nice!

Today?  Teaching in Carlsbad at 10:30am, then back to Temecula for a 2pm Gentle/Therapeutic class and 4:30pm Prenatal.

Hope you have a great Tuesday!




No comments: