Saturday, February 25, 2012

THE 'FRIEND' COUNT

As we muddle through the Anusara upheaval, what is one good thing?  My Facebook "Friend" count has gone up -- like, by 31 people!

31 people I might have met somewhere, or may never have met; nevertheless, they want to be my 'friend'. As one who always hoped to be the 'popular' girl (but never was), this is great fun.  People wanting to hang out with me, if only on Facebook.  

Be still my heart.  

But, don't get too cocky, Leslie.  They could just as easily 'unfriend' me -- in the Facebook world, you're just a 'click' away from being cut off, de-friended, asked to leave a group.  

It's happened, to me -- that being 'asked to leave a group' part.  During all the mess of the past 3 weeks, three groups formed on Facebook -- one for teachers, another for teachers (only), and a third for those who were not sure what the future holds (at least that was the stated intention in the beginning).  I joined all three; I wanted to hear it all, everyone's position.  It's been challenging (as I wrote a bit earlier this week), holding my tongue (or keyboard fingers). 

Then came 'the' message.  A request on the third site (I call it the 'on the fence' site), asking that those of us who were not resigning to please leave the group.  A bit offended, I decided to 'sign off'; used just those terms - 'signing off', and left the group.  

It's easier now -- just two pages to check in on and many of the comments I read are duplicates, so the second time thru I can usually skim.  Saves time.  

What rankles me a bit is when I see a comment on one of MY 2 pages from someone who has resigned. Not that I don't want to hear what they have to say, but they asked ME to leave their group. What's that about?  What makes it worse is that the person asking ME to leave the group had been my friend (not Facebook but real friend); at least I thought she was.  We had spent an entire week together in Boston at the last Level 2 Teacher Training John did there - partnering, chatting, sharing info.  Then she asks ME (and a few hundred others, I'm sure) to leave the group.  Well!  Let's just say I won't be sending her a 'friend request' any time soon.  

So, onward.  Enough about my desire to be popular, well-liked.  Those who know me, like me or not.  I often use Christina's saying of "I'm an acquired taste".  Just look at my classes.  If you want more information that you ever hoped possible, if you want to move more slowly, if you want the question answered that you didn't ask, if you want someone to nitpick at you; then, come to my class.  OOOH, I better read that and learn from some of my mistakes.  

Workshop today -- Happy, Healthy Hips -- and I already have people signed up.  Hoo-Ray!

Hope your Saturday is a good one, 

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

im glad your not leaving. It would be nice to have one of those groups just for people who are staying. its nice to hear everyones opionin. But lately i just scan over the posts that are negative and look fir the ones that will uplift me and the situation.
do you have any new blog site to recommend to me. so many of my daily reading blogs have resigned and I want to be reading from people who are staying with anusara. Right now I just have Karen;s garden blog.

kim