Friday, March 16, 2012

PRE-K vs. COLLEGE (or, something like that)

When I began practicing Anusara Yoga, the spirals, loops, shins in/thighs out -- all of the 'lingo' truly intimidated and confused me.  I came out of the healthcare arena; I was used to the lingo of American medicine.  Now, teach me about loops and spirals?!?!?!?  I was one very confused yoga student.

I read the Anusara book, trying to get a grasp; no luck.  Then my teacher recommended a book by Doug Kellar, "Hatha Yoga in the Anusara Style".  FYI, Doug was a close friend (business partner?) of JF's early on, they had a falling out, Doug went away.  The book was still out there, still available for purchase. I bought one. Read it cover to cover, every word.  I still have it, I still use it.

Mr. Kellar has a writing style that, for me, is clear and understandable. No more did I wonder about loops and spirals and their effect on our yoga poses.

Spring forward 13 years, to a workshop with Sundari.  I spotted among her books one about Pranayama (breathwork) by Doug Kellar. My curiosity was piqued. That evening, I went on-line, found that the book was still available.  Also found two others I couldn't live without -- Yoga as Therapeutics, Parts 1 & 2.

All this history to tell you that there is a world of learning to be had outside of the Anusara Teaching manual.  I believe that book is a good intro, but to be the best yoga teacher I can be means I've got to step outside the box a bit and look around.  Now, some might say "oh, no, you don't need that -- just do what JF said in his therapeutic training".  But here's the clicker:  Never in JF's manuals, or therapy trainings, or anywhere, has the fact that everyone will have a different angle to their upper femur, been mentioned. Never. That's significant. That tells me that there are many more things I need to know that are not covered in the manual. That's not a bad thing, just that the door is open - now, step thru and explore a bit.

My title for this blog post came from a recent Facebook thread in which people debated whether they had enough knowledge or if there was more.  What I learn in classes, therapy trainings, teacher trainings -- all along the way -- is good; but it is not enough.  I have to look around, study with other people, read other peoples' books, hear others' opinions.  Wow, do I still have a lot to learn. This is one of the unexpected benefits of this recent upheaval within Anusara; a hiatus in which to look around, check out other 'stuff', like that.

Today -- Friday -- teaching a new Gentle Yoga group.  Last week, we worked on IS/OS of the arms (do you believe it?), for them it was the gateway to straighter elbows in their poses.  Wonder what today holds?

Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: