Thursday, April 26, 2012

AGAIN? THIS COULD BE HABIT FORMING!

Yesterday, another drive in to Del Mar. Another drive accompanied by the 'traffic gods' -- 40 minutes door-to-door, Fallbrook to YogaDelMar, to practice for 2 hours with Desiree Rumbaugh and Geri Portnoy and forty 50+ year olds.  A few new faces; many repeats from last week.

First, let me say thank you to Desiree and Geri for putting this together, this opportunity to practice EVERY week with a group of women and men similar in age to me. I am loving it. And, as Desiree asked when we began -- "Who couldn't wait for it to be Wednesday?" -- my arm was among the first to shoot into the air.

So, how'd I do?  Fine.  Enjoyed every minute of week 2 of "Wisdom Warriors".  The goal is to move through a full spectrum of Level 1 (Anusara syllabus) poses -- standing, balance, inversions, seated, twists, etc., etc.  And, that we did.  What do I love most?  I love the laughter, the feeling of camaraderie in the room and I love that I can stay 'in the room' -- not tired, tho there is room for much improvement in my inversions.  (I am also woefully weak in my backbending skills; therefore it's important to confess that we skipped urdhva dhanurasana this week; as we did a lot of backbending in other ways earlier in the class.)

I bought a pass = commitment.

One of the side benefits of this weekly practice is a reminder of all the poses I forget are out there to teach and to be enjoyed.  Not to mention the exercises that open me up and prepare me to do these poses.  I hope to carry this forward to my classes.

Speaking of classes, today is Basics at 4pm at Living Yoga.  A small but faithful group. Last week I took them into a few arm balances -- new territory for at least one.  It was great to see each find something in the poses they had not experienced before -- especially if it was to get feet off the floor or simply into the beginning shape of the pose. Why? Because our bodies will remember and next time, it will be easier. Yes!

Raining here in sunny So. California; good for the avocado trees (and good for our water budget).

Hope you have a great Thursday!


No comments: