Wednesday, April 4, 2012

REPEAT

I may have written about this, but - if I did - it was at least 3 years ago.  Hopefully, you've forgotten and/or will forgive me.

My reading lately has included Doug Keller's "Yoga as Therapy" books, and some that he has recommended by other authors about the role of fascia in our movement (or lack of movement).  Needless to say, I am learning lots - if not tons - of new stuff; my level of awareness and my ability to work with students has increased exponentially.

My point in writing all this is to say that my vocabulary has increased, as well.  I can throw anatomy words around with the best of them now.  So, what's the problem?

My students hear my new-found knowledge -- of course, using the big words and they don't understand.  What?  Lately, as I've worked with people on hip movement, I've used the word 'psoas' a lot.  Come to find out, few students know what the 'psoas' is and/or where it is located.  How do I know this?  They've been asking.

Step back to 3 years ago, when a student in a previous class asked me what her 'abs' were.

Why write about this?  To caution myself to never assume my students know where a body part is (I've even taken to telling them why I explain things carefully - the 'abs' story.)  I would rather they hear it 3, 4, 5 times, than not know what or where a particular body part is and its function.  It's part of the yoga - you know that awareness part.

And - one other thing:  Classes have been HUGE this week by my standards (I almost hate to write that, it may jinx the rest of the week).  22 at the Library, 7 (read it, SEVEN) in the Therapeutic/Gentle class, and 4 (yes, FOUR) in prenatal.

Today is Wednesday, no classes to teach; going to take care of a sore throat.

Hope you have a great day!

p.s.  Psoas = one of our hip flexors, a big one that helps us to walk and run. A multiple segmented muscle, one end of the psoas connects to the spine; the other, to the upper, inner thigh. It lies at the center of our bodies, connecting "top to bottom, inside to outside, core to periphery, breathing to walking" (quoting Doug Keller here).  Love this.

No comments: