Tuesday, July 3, 2012

24 PEOPLE

In keeping with the last post title, I made it easy on myself -- 24 people is the number in my Library class yesterday.  Be still my heart!

This is, by far, the largest class I teach.  As I've said before, it's free and I am sure that accounts for the attendance numbers. However, there are enough of those 24 who are 'regulars' to make me believe I'm doing something right. Personally, I don't think I'd return again and again if I didn't think it was worth my time, even if it was free.

So, I am looking out at the 'sea of faces' (7 of whom are new to me), and wondering 'what to teach'. FYI, this class is tough to plan for since composition shifts each week. But, my goal is to move them along strength-wise and pose-knowledge wise -- no matter what their experience level.  I've been working triangle in classes this week, so that is where we went; with a dose of down dog refinement thrown in.

When teaching a pose like triangle, my first goal is to let students know what the 'right' stance is and - in this case - the desired distance between feet is good to know.  Even if ankles as wide as wrists (with arms extended) is too wide for them, at least they know; it's a goal they can work towards, rather than staying in a modified, short stance.  Then, I'd like students to realize it's hand (fingertips) to the floor outside the front calf; rather than hand on a block or shin (which is fine, but sometimes we get stuck in the modifications).

Moving up the pose, once foundation is set, I'd like to see the hip of the front leg in line with that leg, rather than jutting out to the side.  As well, side body(s) long. Then, the nemesis -- the top arm.

What about the top arm? In my thinking the top arm is the icing on the cake, the final step in extending into the pose. But, for many, the arm going up happens as soon as they begin to bend over.  So, in my classes, I ask students to wait, with the hand of the top arm resting on the hip. What are we waiting for -- for the heart to open, the shoulders to stack, the pose to form from feet to pelvis and up into torso. Once set, that's when the top arm goes up -- at least, in my classes, hopefully.

Yesterday, we did a bit of partner work to experience the 'see-saw' principle happening in the top arm. In many cases, we equate 'heart opening' with throwing the top arm back, putting that shoulder at risk. If students are able to experience the 'see-saw' of the top arm, by pressing into something with the hand and feeling the shoulder move back -- Wow!  The class paired up, each did one side of triangle - one partner in the pose, the other providing a stable hand to which the partner doing the pose could press their top arm. Many got it, some didn't. The energy in the room was palpable. Overall, I think the results were o.k.

We moved on.  Bakasana (crow pose), some floor work, and our hour was up.  60 minutes is just not long enough!

Today?  Teaching Gentle at 2pm and Prenatal at 4:30, both at Living Yoga.

Hope you have a great Tuesday before the 4th!

No comments: