Monday, December 3, 2012

STEPPING OUT . . .

Since I began yoga, I'd say 95% of the events/workshops/trainings had an Anusara tag (name/topic) to them.  (It's called 'comfort zone' - I began yoga late, Anusara spoke to me, and I stuck with it.)

Oh, I read a lot of articles and books, watched a few webinars that were from different orientations. And, some of that stuff slipped into my teaching.  The point is, I was Anusara thru and thru (almost).  Then Anusara hit rough water (JF debacle) last February, tossing and turning, throwing many into the water, some clinging to the hull, others in life rafts.  Not sure where I went, just have been watching the action, maybe I was in a life raft -- who knows, I just have drifted away from the wreckage.

So, over the past 10 months, I have thought long and hard about my yoga's future -- what to study, who to study with, what to do with my teaching. One month ago, I signed up for my first workshop in a year and it was with a teacher totally non-Anusara.  Unheard of, for me.

Thursday night, I drove from Fallbrook to LaJolla (about a 60 minute drive if traffic 'gods' are happy), and was introduced to Bo Forbes, Founder and Director of The New England School of Integrative Yoga Therapeutics; and author of the book "Yoga for Emotional Balance".  I totally stepped OUT of the box, OUT of my comfort zone and into the world.

This was a workshop for all - teachers and students - and the subject matter was emotional wellness (title: Yoga as Mind-Body Medicine).  For the next 3 days, I made the same drive - arriving in LaJolla at noon for 7 hours of talk, demonstration, practice.

What did I learn?  Too much to write here and, to be honest, I have a lot to digest and practice before I venture out to teach what I experienced.

I did realize, however, that one of my teachers (Adam) had prepared me well for the practice Bo introduced to us -- slow, intentioned movement.  What else?  That the breath is a major pathway to emotional wellness.  What else?  That my 'buddha' belly is o.k. (something Sundari has told me, but not something I've accepted very graciously).

Back to routine today (with a small 'hitch').  I'll be subbing 2 classes this morning at Yoga For Life in Temecula, then back to Fallbrook and the Library crew.  Busy day, but happy NOT to be driving to La Jolla again (not that I didn't like the end result, and fortunately the traffic 'gods' were with me all the way, but -- it is a long journey).

Hope you have a great Monday and week!

No comments: