Thursday, May 9, 2013

A LITTLE R&R TO RE-CHARGE

I returned Monday from a long weekend in Idaho -- a little R&R to re-charge the batteries, so to speak.

It's interesting that many times the 'return' from such a trip is laced with challenges.  I choose to believe that's simply to remind us that it is really nice to be home.  This trip, I had a short connection time in Salt Lake City.  When we left Idaho Falls, we were delayed by 20 minutes as the flight crew asked for more gas and for air traffic to clear. That meant that I would have 25 minutes in SLC to get to the next flight. Once on approach to SLC, the airport put us in a holding pattern due to weather (this also delayed us another 15 minutes).  Now, I have 10 minutes to get to my connecting flight.  Once off the plane, I waited 2-3 minutes for my bag and, once on my way, I looked at the clock -- 4 minutes until departure.

Fortunately, the connecting gate was reasonably close, other planes had been delayed, and I made it onto my flight.  SO GLAD TO BE HOME!

When I leave town, I also leave my students in the care of substitute teachers.  I've been hearing that all had a good experience, and enjoyed the teaching they received.  Many teachers will tell their students when they are leaving; I choose not to (unless circumstances warrant).  Why?  Some students will 'skip' their classes if their regular teacher is absent.  They may also 'skip' some great teaching.  Hence, my way of handling a guest teacher's presence.

Since my return, I've been teaching, teaching, teaching.  And, practicing.

Wisdom Warriors Del Mar, yesterday, was fun -- so good to see and work with the friends I've cultivated through that practice.  We are experiencing a 'sub' situation for the next 6 weeks, as Desiree is in Europe teaching.  In her absence, Mary has taken the helm (with some help from Geri, I think).  We had fun, and I am wondering what poses we didn't do -- well, I watched at times.  It was a challenging practice - physically and mentally.  I was able to really relate to my own students, as I worked to maintain my 'beginner' mind.  That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it (the practice), it means that I had to remind myself that Desiree wasn't there and, instead, Mary is our guide -- her teaching is different, no less challenging or skilled, just different.  I am glad I was in the class; good to see how others teach, practice some different poses, sweat a bit, have fun.

So, today?  Teaching at 12:30 at Yoga For Life; then Wisdom Warriors at Living Yoga (2:30).

Hope you all have a great Thursday,


No comments: