Friday, March 13, 2015

THE JOURNEY & OTHER 'NEWS'

My personal practice continues to regularly include urdhva dhanurasana.  Since the last post, I have been able to push up and hold for a bit longer, and on two occasions I added a 4th urdhva (prior, it had been just 3).

As well, I listened to a webinar by Doug Keller (2 Wednesday evenings, completed this week).  I learned so much (as I always do from this gentleman).  Head position - lots to know about that; the action of the legs in setu bhanda (bridge) and their impact on my pelvic rotation (or 'nutation', as he calls it -- new and strange word to me); diaphragm's effect on ribs and, hence, the back bending; too many more actions and nuances to mention.

I plan to go back and re-listen, and to review all his great diagrams, since I am sure I missed some things.

One of my issues with Urdhva Dhanurasana has been that I am coming to my toes in order to get up - that's not a bad thing, according to Doug. It activates the hamstrings enough to allow the quadriceps to soften. This softening releases the quadriceps' pull on the pelvis (which affect its nutation and puts more pressure into the low back). So, coming to the toes is a good modification. Now - to get the feet flat.  I'm thinking that once I get up, using the tiptoes, then apply his further instructions, the feet will more easily come to flat.

It's a lot to think about when you are bending your back, holding yourself up, trying to breathe, etc., etc..  One thing I know, is that the only way it will happen is if I keep practicing it and getting more comfortable with it.

And, another thing I know, signing up for the webinar with Doug was one very smart thing for me to have done.

So, I am off to my space to practice. Wish me good practice!

Hope you have a great Friday!

No comments: