Friday, February 20, 2009

HEAR NO EVIL . . .

While I'm on the topic of 'alternative' populations, one that presented itself this Winter is a group of deaf women at our of our local Community Centers for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

I had no knowledge of ASL (American Sign Language), and - to be truthful - had always felt a bit intimidated by this population. I've read and heard that that's not an unusual feeling for the hearing, since - as a group - the deaf will naturally stick together (they can't communicate easily with the hearing, remember). What I'm finding is that, while it is difficult to communicate as I learn to sign, they are a fun group - always laughing and looking for the laughable things in life -- a good fit for Anusara™.

Teaching this group adds another tool to my rapidly expanding toolbag of teaching skills -- SILENCE. Why talk -- they can't hear me!!!

Just as the forbidden touch has enriched my toolbag, so does this skill at silence. Both give me time to watch, to allow the poses to open without my touching or blabbing on about benefits, minutiae, etc.

Give it a try -- if your students are safe, don't rush in to adjust them; as they hold a pose (even Tadasana), let silence help occasionally. Simply watch the poses expand, open, SING.

As I said, another skill in my toolbag.

Have a great day!

No comments: