Saturday, February 21, 2009

PREPARATION

I've been up since 3:40 this morning -- my best preparation time. Quiet time before husband and dogs join me; a good time for me to read, study, meditate, plan.

Saturday mornings are a new class for me, and a bit of a challenge. My first real 'stepping out' or into the limelight (if you can call Saturday mornings 'the limelight'). They should, however, be one of the larger classes of the week. Hence, the challenge -- can I grow the class? will my presence and my teaching skills pull students in AND keep them? Scary to find out the answers.

So, preparation - as with all classes - is needed to meet the challenge.

I have a 3-ring notebook (affectionately called my lifeline), in which I store notes from past workshops and trainings. My method for notes: try to write as much as effectively possible during the training or workshop, then transcribe asap, read copiously, place in notebook, re-read. The information will percolate in; if not immediately, then after one or a few readings.

I also include in this notebook copies of evaluations (Certified Instructor feedback from class observations), my own pertinent notes picked up along the way, and notes shared with me by students who also attended the same trainings/workshops as I.

I've skimmed through the book, now for some journalling -- what will be my theme, my heart quality, my apex pose, my alignment principle(s) to emphasize, my sequence, related anecdotes. Journalling is a valuable tool -- when I do it well, classes develop and are taught with much less effort.

Noticed the trend here -- TOOLS.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you said about journaling. I wish I'd started keeping a yoga scrapbook earlier than I had. For me, a journal's been a convenient place to store my mental detritus, unresolved questions, or bits of information for which my mind cannot yet provide a link or set of associations to keep it fixed. Currently, from my journal, I'm working on expanding Noah Maze's model of Dharma/Lila and Mudra which he laid out at his recent workshop. This is a theme which Adam B. has been revisiting in classes a lot recently, too. But nothing in my journal could help me wrap my head around these concepts completely. For this I'll keep Noah's answer in my scrapbook until my experience reminds me of what I didn't yet know.