Monday, March 23, 2009

BLOG INTIMIDATION

I have been reading some incredible blogs the past few days. Blogs recommended by friends and blogs I've found as I follow links.

In talking to a friend yesterday, I mentioned a couple of them (the blogs) and how much knowledge these Certified Anusara™ teachers have. That I feel a bit inadequate when reading them; especially when I look back at my blog -- which, I think has good information, but not nearly the technical or philosophical depth of some that I'm reading.

Her response: Remember what John says are the overarching qualifications to be a Certified Anusara™ Teacher,
  1. Are you a nice person?
  2. Do you connect with your students?
  3. Do you guide them safely through a practice that connects to their heart?

Upon reflection, I have to admit, when with John, I have never felt pressure to be a great scholar of philosophy or even the most flexible, skilled yoga practitioner. He only asks that we do our best, give it our full effort. That other pressure comes from me - like right now, as I read other people's thoughts.

I may never possess that depth, but I am a nice person, I do connect with my students (I know that because they are telling me), and I do conduct classes that are safe, yet challenging, and - more and more - connect to their hearts.

I'll keep reading other blogs -- they offer a wealth of information and knowledge, and I appreciate every word of it. They will enrich my base of knowledge, my teaching and my own practice. As I read, I'll remember I'm 'enriching' not 'creating'.

Here's to another week,

No comments: