Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ON AGING . . .

Not sure if I mentioned that I am currently in Spokane spending a few days with my Father & Mother (86 & 82 respectively).

This is a difficult time -- watching them slowly wind down, forget, sit on the couch too much, complain about things that aren't important, and - hardest for me - refuse to actively participate to make the situation more tolerable.

I had planned to write today about our greatness, and how we cloak that greatness. Slight family argument -- change gears -- breathe -- but, my thoughts are still involved in the family, so you get to hear about it.

We went out for dinner last night with my two cousins and their wives. Since my Dad is diabetic, there needed to be a shot taken and he decided to do it in the car before going into the restaurant. As we parked, everyone arrived and tried to be helpful in the process of shot, wheelchair, etc. Then, at dinner, my Dad's nose began to run. My older cousin reached over and wiped it for him. All helpful, unmalicious offerings. But, to someone who has always been in control, always been in a position of authority (Air Force Pilot, to boot), a bit embarrassing.

This morning I heard about it -- how their helpfulness embarrassed him. I offered the thought that he should step back, look at their motivation: to be helpful, and - for future reference - perhaps mention to my cousin "hey, next time, just tell me -- I still can wipe my own nose".

Not received well. All of a sudden, I was the bad guy. My suggestions were received as a lecture (also not something he tolerates well). I left the room in a huff.

I kept rememberng Sundari's wise words to me when we talk about aging parents, 'this is your yoga, too'.

I went back to calm things, to explain I was just trying to be helpful. I think things are back on an even keel; but, yoga - no matter where it's done - is always a practice.

What can I say, Tuesdays ...

No comments: