Saturday, March 7, 2009

NOW, PUT IT INTO ACTION

Saturday morning and thinking about the weekend portion of this adventure.

In the past, I have rarely stayed on for the weekend workshop after a week-long training. These trainings can be intense -- if you've been reading this blog, you know that I've been sitting a lot, doing a good bit of yoga, practicing my teaching, and being taught by other students like myself. That doesn't include the note-taking (and note typing). By the end of a week like this, I'm a bit weary.

I wouldn't mind going home today, but - since I have someone to sub my class this morning, I have a place to stay, and my husband is o.k. with it - I'm going to push the envelope a bit and do the weekend. More time with old & new friends, more time to practice those elusive poses, and more time to experience John's teaching.

Switching gears, yesterday morning was a potpourri of good information, from philosophy to books we must read to general questions. We did a practice, pausing periodically to practice adjustments and discuss points. The theme for this practice was 'Shri' (divine beauty); the heart quality - artistically celebrating our own uniqueness. In this practice, we explored adding our own uniqueness to each pose, not just emulating our neighbor or doing 'cookie cutter' versions of the poses. Fun stuff!

As you practice today, reflect on your own uniqueness -- as one student pointed out, the first thing people notice about a work of art is the last thing the artist did in creating it. So, pay attention to your foundation, take a good general form of the pose, then open and create your own work of art.

Enjoy,

No comments: