Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PILATES ! ! !

This has little to do with yoga, yet a lot to do with our approach to yoga, so you are going to hear about it.

Yesterday was my first private pilates session with Cindy. Cindy is a yoga teacher (has studied extensively with Sianna, Desiree, Adam, etc.), plus she appears to just love ANY form of physical activity (including letting her husband drag her along to hike up a mountain, just to ski down it). Her zest for life is contagious, and it's good for me to 'hang out' with her -- I need to get a little more 'out there'.

Now, she is going for a Certification as a Pilates Instructor -- no easy feat, from her description. 500 hours of 'serious as a heart attack' (her words, not mine) lessons, practice, observation, teaching, etc. I am fortunate that she asked me to work with her weekly to hone her skills.

I think Pilates will be good for me. Why? To firm my core, to lengthen some muscles, to improve balance, and - most importantly to me - to take me out of my comfort zone.

Other side benefits: to strengthen a friendship, talk, laugh, practice that 'beginner mind' I harped about yesterday -- all good things.

Isn't that chitananda? Awareness & beauty/bliss -- just in a different package.

Now, back to yoga -- I'm going to Wayne's class this morning. He's given me some good tips that, I hope, will open my hips.

Take care,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Leslie,
I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I'm starting to teach again and looking for more opportunities also and your down to earth approach is so encouraging.
I also love the Leonard Cohen..so much that I kinda borrowed it..since it speaks to, I think aging, expression and viability in our culture..
Much love,
Marlene

Leslie Salmon said...

Thank you for the nice compliment -- this blog is bringing out a part of me long under wraps! As to Leonard Cohen - I borrowed it from Karen @ Garden Street Yoga, so I don't mind your using it. Love back, Les

Cindy said...

Les--You didn't tell them that you are a "ringer" for pilates and after your first lesson are no longer at a "beginner" level--it's just like yoga, it never gets any easier, you just do harder stuff with better form, alignment, understanding, and increased awareness of the mind-body connection! XO C