Friday, March 20, 2009

TWO THINGS ...

I often start e-mails off with that header (subject), to make sure the recipient reads the entire e-mail. Ever notice that people read maybe only the first paragraph of an e-mail, respond, and you are left to wonder their reaction to the rest of your initial communication (or, if they even read it)? But, if I continue this blog will be about three things -- if you include this short rant.

First, there is a goldmine of yoga blogs out there just waiting for us to explore. I received an e-mail yesterday from a fellow Tucson student, suggesting several. I'll explore those and, if they are as valuable as they appear to be, I'll add a link. Note, that's me being the judge -- what speaks to me, may not speak to you -- but, I'm writing this blog.

I also logged onto Christina's blog this morning, after looking at some pictures she had posted of her new home and yoga space, I followed a couple blog links she recommends. There is great potential there, as well. Will keep you posted on those.

Second, I had a great lesson in teacher flexibility yesterday. Thursday mornings, I teach a small group of deaf women at a community center here in Salt Lake. As I've said before - a challenge without knowing much more than the finger letters in ASL. I am working to solve that, tho. Next week I start a beginning class in ASL at the same center. Not only will I be better able to teach them, but learning new skills is a recommended way to hold off 'aging brain'.

Back to topic (teacher flexibility). The class began with just one student in the room. In that situation, I decided - because of her skills - to practice alongside her and take her through a moderate practice. About 15 minutes into our 90 minutes, in walks student #2 -- she had been dealing with a client emergency (legitimate excuse). She is also pretty adept, so she did a bit of warming up and joined our practice. Then, 30 minutes into the 90 minutes, just as I had them at the wall doing a supported Ardha Chandrasana, in walks student #3.

Student #3 has never been to my class (I'm not sure that she has ever done yoga, but she did have her own mat. Remember my limited ASL skills.) A young woman, a bit overweight, who had had knee surgery last Fall.

First, turning her away was not an option -- I'm trying to build this class. Besides, the other 2 were very supportive of her coming in. The deaf population is nothing if not inclusive (I hope I said that right).

So, change gears. Modify. Slow it down. Breathe. Do my best to give everyone a good experience. All said they'd be back next week; I'll keep you posted.

Ah, Fridays

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Your post reminded me of that old saying ... "Life is what happens when we're making other plans" (Make that life AND yoga classes.) The hallmark of a great teacher is the ability to change gears mid-lesson plan to accommodate what is before them. Many teachers won't change & continue "the march into hell for a heavenly cause" :-)

Glad to stumble onto your blog. I am an Anusara practitioner who is BLESSED to study under Christina Sell, also a fellow blogger. Come visit sometime http://potentialwithin.wordpress.com

Blessings!
Pamela Walsh