Sunday, March 15, 2009

VIDEO CAMERAS - Yuck !!!

Filmed my Saturday a.m. class. It took a few minutes to get the video camera working (it's been a while since I've used it).

This morning, I decided (while it was still quiet in the house) to transfer the video from the camera to my laptop. As I thought that was happening, I decided to watch the video. Much better than last year, when watching one of my class videos was like watching paint dry.

Part of self-evaluating the video includes picking up the words that you use TOO frequently. My frequently abused words /phrases: breathe, pull, take, take a breath, so (really use that one too much). Now, the task: create a table, with each of these words at the top of a column, then list alternative words and phrases to use in their place.

I also noticed my posture, while better, is not great. When I stand up straight, I hope one result will be that my stomach won't stick out quite so much (vanity).

Positive parts of the video: More confidence, more knowledgeable, sequence o.k. (a bit rough on a couple transitions), carried the theme through the class, used an alignment point (shoulder blades) to support the theme throughout. I did verbally adjust, and made some physical adjustments. Also, the languaging sounded more Anusara-ish; not so technical.

With the video, I'm pleased -- while I have work to do, I see growth and progress.

In Tucson, John noted some of the missing elements of many videos. I'll mention those, just for your info. You must:
  1. Return to the heart theme throughout the class
  2. Check that all students are in the general form of the pose
  3. Check the foundation. Give students a moment to breathe while you move through the class to assure each is 'safe' in their foundation.
  4. Ensure students are following your instruction(s) BEFORE you move on.
  5. Make a statement regarding how and why the theme connects back to the highest purpose (i.e. "this practice allows us to see the goodness within ourselves and others; it might be a bit cloaked at times, but it's there")

There may be more commonly missed points, but these are the ones mentioned. If you know of some, please share by commenting.

Now, back to the camera -- turns out the video didn't save to the laptop, and I've got to study and figure that out. Technology!

Take care & enjoy your Sunday,

1 comment:

sundari said...

Throughout that experience you gained so much knowledge of your own beauty. When one can see the beauty one can share the beauty. The mirror of life has been placed in your hand. Truly a gift. Keep looking into the reflection of your own heart. It suits YOU! Sundari