Saturday, March 14, 2009

THE KULA OF ANUSARA™ YOGA

The first time I met John Friend was at Inner Harmony, the last year that the retreat center was operating in Cedar City (2004). I applied on a whim & a prayer, doubting that I would get in. A response to my application never came, so I called the Anusara office. I was told that they did get my application, that I wouldn't be able to attend the week I'd requested, but that I could attend the session being held earlier in the month.

So, I accepted. Hopped in my car (by myself) on a Sunday morning, drove to Cedar City (where?), and stepped into a life-changing experience.

Note: of the 65 people attending that session, I was one of 4 who had never experienced John or a group of this type before. Everyone else knew each other! Needless to say, it was interesting to be in a situation where everyone is hugging, greeting, renewing old acquaintances and me - not knowing a soul. For someone like me - who is/was shy (59 & shy?), it only heaps more challenge on an already challenging environment. But, the teachings were so good, the people were welcoming, the yoga was amazing, and the hikes during our breaks were incredibly beautiful - I stuck it out.

Finally, somewhat in the groove by Wednesday of that week, I received a call telling me of a family emergency. I needed to leave and fly to my hometown to help. I told John the reason for my departure, hopped in the car and drove back to Salt Lake.

All this to tell you that the e-mails, cards, phone calls from many of those 65 people asking me how I was doing, etc., was amazing. That was the 'kula' (community) I'd been hearing about in class and during the workshop. People who supported and cared about me, even though they had just barely met me.

I am having a similar experience at this time, as well. Granted, I know these Anusara™ teachers already, but the interest and care they show in my progress as an Anusara-Inspired™ instructor is truly amazing -- so much fun to get e-mails, texts, calls of encouragement and support. It only makes me want to work harder and teach better, knowing that I have a kula of people supporting and caring about me.

Kula in action!

No comments: