Friday, March 27, 2009

YOU KNOW THAT LITTLE BUMP ...

that often forms right about c-7? Well, many of my students (and myself) are at risk of developing one of those 'attractive' features.

I know it's a result of life-long habits -- jutting the jaw forward, poor posture, computer time, driving, reading with the book in our laps, etc., etc., etc. (I just thought of "The King and I", as I wrote that for the second day in a row.)

So, I'm on a mission -- not only do I want to reverse any tendency in myself, but I am also looking at that spot on every student, whether she/he knows she/he has it or not. (Remember, Leslie, what John says: " don't answer the question that hasn't been asked". But, says Leslie to John, "some students don't KNOW they need to ask the question! What do I do then?")

Shoulder loop and skull loop will help, but there are a couple moves that students could do (and probably would do, even at home) if they knew it would help reduce that unsightly bulge. These were taught to many of us at a Desiree Rumbaugh therapeutics session, so you may or may not know them. One is particularly easy to slip in just before savasana.
  1. Clasping hands just at or slightly above the occiput (back of head), assure shoulder loop is engaged, lift chin a bit, and press head back into hands (skull loop with a bit of resistance). Neck muscles will strengthen, and the increased movement in the region of the 'culprit bump' will bring circulation to that unsightly tissue build-up, causing it to break down a bit.
  2. Lying on the back, as you move into savasana (unsuspecting students beware -- even if you haven't asked, you'll get it now) bring your arms close to your side, press the elbows into the floor AND press the back of the head into the floor, move chin away from chest. Lift the shoulders away from the floor and hold for a few breaths. Same affect as #1 -- shoulder loop plus skull loop = stronger neck muscles at back of neck, plus increased movement & circulation to culprit area.

Sounds like a mystery blog, doesn't it? No mystery -- we all know how to create change.

Look at your students. I mean REALLY look at them - then, figure out how to get them to ASK the question or slip a helpful move into their practice, as you mention the tendency for many of us to develop these unsightly, changeable features.

Cold here in SLC -- my trees and tulips had started to spring forth, only to be slapped back by this snow and cold. Oh well, after living here 15 years, I ought to be used to it.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: