Thursday, March 26, 2009

AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE . . .

As owner of a studio, I not only teach but am responsible to make sure classes get taught. If that means getting a call from a stranded or sick yoga instructor 20 minutes before their class is to start, and having to step in for that person, so be it.

On Wednesdays, I have agreed to back-up one of my instructors, who has a job with on-call responsibilities. I flew back in SLC late yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, checked for messages from that teacher, found none. So, I went home, settled into the evening's routine. As I was checking e-mail, I heard my cell jingle (text message). He had gotten called towards the end of his first class, and was calling to ask if I was available to do the 7 pm.

Change gears ... breathe ... change clothes ... hop in the car and go teach.

Notice a pattern here? This is at least the third time I have written about 'changing gears, etc., etc., etc.

It was a Gentle Yoga class -- just up my alley. We did some warming up, included a bit of foot work. I find that, though uncomfortable for some, foot work is a valuable tool to add to any class.

I recently received a copy of a formal study done comparing two groups of people (middle to advanced in age). One group did ankle and foot flexion exercises daily; the other did not. When tested for balance skills during and after the study period, the group who had worked with their feet was better able to balance.

Here's a brief description of the routine I've been using:
  • Cross R ankle on top of L knee (either seated on floor cross legged, or in a chair)
  • Thread fingers of L hand between the toes of R foot, from the bottom of the foot (really get those fingers in there - some people hate this, but it is good for them).
  • Grasp the toes and gently move the toes back and forth several times, then do some ankle circles in both directions -- also moving gently.
  • Now - my favorite - keep fingers between toes, but relax their grip on toes. As you exhale, use your toes to squeeze the fingers. Do this 3 times.
  • As you remove fingers from between toes, push toes towards top of foot, then pull them back towards the sole of the foot -- stretching both the bottom and top of foot.
  • Use your thumbs to deeply massage the sole of the foot, working from base of each toe to heel and back.
  • Now release R foot to floor and compare to L (lift and spread toes, check out the color difference)
  • Repeat on L foot
  • When you are done with the L foot, practice moving the toes independent of one another, as follows:
  • Keep 4 corners of feet on floor, lift & spread toes. Take pinkie toe to mat, lift & spread toes again, take big toe to mat; now lift & spread and try to take both pinkie & big toes to mat. Done with that? now, keep toes on floor - spread wide and lift just the big toe. Now - I can't do it - but challenge your students to try to lift their pinkie toe, as well (I've seen it done.).

Not only is this exercise good for ALL students (even those who come to class ready to 'kick you-know-what'), but it is a real awakening for some. "Move my toes? I can't. Oh, look, there goes one." And, if you repeat it occasionally they will get better (practice, remember). It requires so little effort, they may even do some of it at home.

Snowing and windy here. Change gears ... breathe ... put away the rake and get the snow shovel back out.

Take care,

No comments: