Friday, April 17, 2009

SKEPTICAL

The $4 class I mentioned yesterday appears to be taking off nicely. While not huge numbers yet, a class at The Yoga Center that pulls in 5 within the first two weeks has promise. Granted, it's a bargain; but, the class still must offer students something in order for them to alter their day and get to the studio at 4 pm.

I already notice 2-3 regulars and in the last two classes there have been a couple people new to me and the studio. People who come in, meet me, and wonder (perhaps skeptically) what kind of class they will get. Good question, who doesn't do that when they attend a new class, new instructor, or new studio?

The unfortunate part of that is my reaction. I tend to get nervous (tho, I hope it doesn't show). I feel I have to prove myself (which I do, but only prove that I am a nice person teaching a comprehensive, safe class). I wonder what they think of me -- will I measure up to their expectations?

The fortunate part is that the nervousness goes away once I start teaching.

Before I taught yoga, I did fundraising and occasionally was called on to speak in front of a group. I was extremely nervous in those situations, so I took public speaking classes and I practiced -- it didn't help. By the time I finished the first sentence, I was breathless and could not continue without that nervous, wavering voice.

Not so with teaching. I wonder why. Is it because I've found my niche? Is it because I know what to teach and how to teach it? Is it because I own the studio and as 'the boss' don't have to prove my teaching ability to anyone (except my students, mentor, eventually the Certification Committee, John Friend -- to name a few)?

Or, could it be because the end result for me in teaching is chitananda (chit-awareness; ananda-beauty) -- those same reasons we do yoga.

Teaching gives me a whole new insight to myself, and when I look out and see unbidden, smiling faces in a well-aligned pose, my heart leaps and I just get excited and happy.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: