Thursday, April 30, 2009

TAKING THE SEAT

I taught my Gentle Yoga class yesterday morning, then subbed Sam's two classes in the late afternoon/evening.

Spring and road construction around the studio are taking a toll on class sizes this month, but - hopefully - people will get their fill of yardwork and bike riding, decide to brave the gauntlet of yellow cones and flagmen(women), and get in for their yoga.

All that to say that the classes I subbed were small, but still fun to teach.

After each, students came up and commented on how much they enjoyed the classes. Not just the new students, but students who had been in my classes many times before. Causes me to wonder -- what did I do different this time?

One of the 'older-to-me' (meaning: have experienced my class before) students explained that my confidence level is visibly improving. That each time he comes to my class he notices I am more comfortable -- more comfortable in the 'seat of the teacher'.

What is the 'seat of the teacher'? It is that place where we become the guide in our classes. It is a position of trust, and of serving our students.

I got out my oldest version of the Teacher Manual for Anusara Yoga and looked up 'Seat of the Teacher'. In that section of the Manual, we are asked to follow a set of guidelines structured to set us on a path of honoring our role, honoring our teachers, respecting our students. The guidelines include ethical codes of behavior to be followed. And, if in doubt, we are asked to follow the 3 S's of Anusara Yoga:

  • Shri - Life-affirming
  • Satya - Truthful
  • Svantantrya - Freedom-enhancing
Having a student tell me that I am settling into that 'seat' is a wonderful compliment.

Have a good Thursday,

No comments: