Sunday, April 26, 2009

TEACHING PROGRESS

I taught two classes yesterday morning (subbing Jacqueline's Basics class, in addition to my own Level 1).

When I took over the Saturday morning class, I was advised to 'not make it too easy' -- the implication being that people coming to a 9 am Saturday class are looking for a more energetic, challenging experience.

And, my tendency is to look out at the group, see people struggling, and back off. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I certainly don't want people to get discouraged, but it may not be what the group is looking for. It also does not allow them growth in their practice.

Yesterday, I had a breakthrough, of sorts, in teaching this Level 1 class. I have always admired the teacher who can sequence a class, moving to the apex pose while pointing out to students that pieces/parts of the poses leading to the apex, and the apex, have already been accomplished as they were warming up. The implication: you (students) have already been here in a number of different poses, now let's put it all together.

My breakthrough was that I did that, in a manner of speaking. Moved students through poses that included shoulder work, lunges, hip openers -- until we reached the apex for that day. As we worked, I was able to go back and remind them that they have already done a part or piece of the pose in this sequence, moving from warm-up to more difficult/challenging poses.

Result -- I think people left feeling good and challenged.

Another result -- I had fun and felt good about their experience. In hindsight, I could have put in more languaging relating to the theme, but - this new experience while teaching took over and I forgot, except briefly, that part of my job. I'm not going to beat myself about it, tho; it just felt like too much fun.

Have a great day!

No comments: