Wednesday, May 20, 2009

BACK TO URDHVA DHANURASANA . . .

Making progress on this, my long struggle.

Over the weekend, I got a good dose of backbending when I attended Jen's workshop -- good stuff. Then, Sunday, Matt continued on the same vein (though we didn't do Urdhva, just a lot of other shoulder and shoulder blade work).

Yesterday, Wayne's class was a good warm-up towards and including Urdhva. Side body long and bringing my hands a bit closer to my shoulders before pressing up, were key to taking me to one of the best I've done. His emphasis during class on shoulder loop also was easy for me to incorporate and to feel the action in the pose. (Sometimes, we are so busy efforting ourselves into poses, we don't - or can't - notice the more subtle elements. Shoulder loop in Urdhva is one of those, I think.)

Perhaps my success yesterday was also related to the fact I had done backbending poses 3 times during the week (not something I usually choose to do). Wayne mentioned that during the Certified Teacher Gathering in Denver, John had told the group that success in backbends comes from doing them at least twice a week. Practice, Practice, Practice ! ! !

Cleanse Update: All is well, feeling lighter.

Take care,

No comments: