Friday, May 22, 2009

COMMUNICATION

This week, many of us (Anusara-Inspired™ and Certified Anusara® yoga instructors) received a wonderful e-mail from John Friend, Founder of Anusara Yoga.

I love getting any kind of communication from the 'home office'. It makes me feel like I belong, it gives me a connection, and it inspires me to keep working. Isn't it amazing how that little bit of acknowledgement (in this case, our name on an e-mail list of about 1,500 others) can motivate us, as individuals, to keep working and striving towards our goal.

His message was about the Denver Teachers' Gathering - a week-long training for Certified and about-to-be Certified instructors that is held each year; a short re-cap of the discussions there and included guidelines for Immersion and Teacher Trainings, plus birthday commentary (he's about to turn 50 -- to be older than your teacher is something for another post).

I can apply the same principle in my classes -- acknowledging everyone, from the least experienced to the most proficient. Everyone likes to feel that, to feel they are part of the group, to feel noticed.

I also notice that, when in workshops or trainings with John, it's also nice NOT to be noticed. That is an unspoken acknowledgement that I must be getting it; or at least close to getting it. But that awareness comes with years of working with him, of knowing what to expect, what his nuances in class are. Always listening. Always remembering that he is the guide, I am his passenger. Never anticipating and acting without his instruction. Sounds like I'm a robot, but that is part of the student-teacher relationship -- honoring the teacher and his/her wisdom and trusting that the instructions will take me to the most beneficial spot for me.

Enough said.

Wayne's class yesterday was excellent -- in fact, with all the details to alignment he was throwing at us, I would have thought (except for the voice) I was in a class with John. Good stuff and the fact that I understood and could incorporate the instructions into my poses is excellent! Thank you, Wayne, for the double excellent class!

Enjoy Friday and looking forward to a LONG weekend,

No comments: