Saturday, August 22, 2009

GO BACK TO THE B0OK

This morning I'm up early to prepare for a 9 am class. I started last night, feeling little inspiration.

As I looked around our family room, the first book I spotted was the Anusara Teacher Training Manual (conveniently opened to possible 'heart quality' ideas). Since I was feeling less-than-inspired, I decided to re-read some of the manual. Started last night, made it through 3 sections and set it aside to resume in the morning.

This morning, up and reading. Finding lots of material that I had forgotten, overlooked in previous readings, or maybe just hadn't paid attention to (or heard).

In our curriculum, there is so much reading that - if we have done one (or two or three or four) teacher trainings, the manual may sit unopened after that first flurry of teacher training exuberance. At least, that's been my history. I do open it occasionally to check possible heart qualities, look at the lists of poses for the ones I have overlooked teaching, etc.

This time, I opened it and read each line of chapter 9 (course curriculum) through to the Syllabus of poses -- highlighting important points. Lots of gems in there that - unfortunately for me - have gotten sidelined by other information.

As John says -- stick to the basics; keep it simple. The manual helps us do just that; succinctly telling us how, what and why to teach in order to engage our students.

One line that jumped off the page for me this morning: "It is yoga throughout every phase of the pose, not just in the final form." Why? Because I've been trying to teach this, but have yet to come up with such a simple way to say it. Now I have it! All because I went 'back to the book'.

Hope you have a great weekend,

No comments: