Friday, August 21, 2009

TRANSITIONS

I attended Wayne's class yesterday morning -- his theme and our practice revolved around our transitions, staying steady and strong as we move from one pose to the next.

Naturally - as good yoga teachers do - I used a similar thought process for my YogaHour class. I did use a different sequence and there was some original thought to my class. But, in all honesty, it does help me to attend a class, listen to the phrasing being used and the instructions, incorporate it into my own practice; and then -- maybe use some of it in one of my subsequent classes.

I attended a class at my studio a couple weeks ago. Response of fellow students in the class: 'what is a yoga teacher doing in class?'. Kind of caught me off guard. Either we yoga teachers disguise our professions very well, or these students never go to the classes with teachers in attendance, or - worse - few of us yoga teachers actually attend public classes.

The last option does happen - more often than we would care to admit. We get so caught up in teaching, practicing on our own, studying, attending workshops (and, some of us have full-time jobs to attend to), that we forget about public classes. A gold mine we can use to our own advantage, when needed.

As I work towards Certification, it is part of my curriculum to attend a certain number of public classes with a Certified Anusara® Instructor. So, best I not forget those public classes.

Plus, as I said before, it's a goldmine of good information, teaching ideas, theming ideas, etc., to be had. And, since most yoga instructors know and accept that it will happen, I don't need to feel guilty when I 'borrow' something from them.

No comments: