Thursday, August 13, 2009

SETTLING BACK IN

I've settled back into a sort-of routine in the last few days -- being back to real life after vacation. Now, it's time to pack again. Going to visit my parents for a long weekend in Spokane.

I'm packing my equanimity for that trip. Aging parents and the associated dynamics will require a big dose of it. FYI, my parents are in their mid-80's. They are still in their home, with help coming in periodically (housekeeper, bookkeeper, bath-aide, Fire Department - when my Dad takes a tumble, plus a cousin whose family is very attentive).

Still, I worry. I have my ideas of what would be best for them; but it doesn't fit their wishes right now. So - wait, worry, watch.

I've been using the word equanimity a lot this week -- as a theme in classes, as a reminder to not overreact. I will apply the word a lot this coming weekend -- try to stay calm, not dramatize, take time to look at the bigger picture.

To think that 24 months ago, this powerful word was a bit foreign to me! I would read it in Gurumayi's writings, think about it, decide to look it up in the dictionary later, then forget. It was vaguely in my mind that it meant 'equal', but I was never confident enough in my knowledge to add it to my vocabulary. (equanimity = calm temperament, evenness of temper even under stress)

Today, it's in my mind and my vocabulary constantly. Such a good word!

Well, another blog dedicated to rambling on about a word (last entry is was 'props').

P.S. I've been re-reading the books I have with compilations of Gurumayi's talks. In those talks, she always is referencing Baba Muktananda (her teacher). I finally purchased one of his books (a compilations of selected essays), started reading it last night. Lots to think about.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: