Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TWO POSTS IN ONE DAY !?!

Never have done this, but wanted to give an update on the hearing from earlier today.

It basically was a hearing conducted by an Administrative Law Judge at the Utah Dept. of Workforce Services. Purpose: to determine if instructors at The Yoga Center can continue to be considered Independent Contractors.

Overall, I'd say the experience was positive. While the Judge will not have a 'verdict' for 2-3 weeks, I felt I held my own -- I was calm, organized, firm; all the things I was advised to be. At the end of the 80-minute telephone hearing, I felt o.k.; energized, even.

I went out to the studio space to relieve Cindy (who had taught the first 25 minutes of my Gentle Yoga class). She finished the wall work she had the group doing, and turned the room over to me. As unusual as this is (to have teachers share duties in a 90-minute class), it worked seamlessly. I taught the rest of the class feeling energized and good about my teaching (maybe it was the adrenalin in my system from the phone hearing).

Then, a few last minute details to take care of at the studio. Home to change and have lunch with Howard, and he drove me to the airport. I'm in San Diego enjoying son, daughter-in-law, and two grandsons. Trying to leave studio business behind for a few days. I'll think about yoga, but not the studio - hopefully.

Sleep well,

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

I've done the two teacher thing but mostly while the class was in Savasana I had to slip out and have someone else bring them back out. I do like doing two teachers with one leading and the other adjusting. That's fun and you learn a bunch when you just have to focus on adjusting.