Friday, September 4, 2009

QUALIFICATIONS TO BE A GRANDPARENT: MENTAL & PHYSICAL CONTORTIONIST(?)

I am enjoying time with two of my grandchildren this weekend, ages 3 (almost) and 1 (almost).

Watching them play, tumble, jump, run, just makes me marvel -- was I ever able to move like that?

Last night, their mother (Jessie) went out to meet a girlfriend for dinner, leaving Derek (my son) and I to entertain, bathe, and put these two little ones safely to bed. Derek took Brady (almost 1), and I took Jack. Brady went first, then it was my job to cajole Jack into the tub (not too hard, since he was very tired from a full day, which included PRE-SCHOOL). After a relatively calm bath, he willingly put his pajamas on and then it was time to brush teeth.

Let me just say this: Jack does NOT like to brush his teeth. First, we had to find the toothbrush (Derek was busy reading to Brady), which we did without too much trouble. Apply toothpaste. Then the fun begins. I have watched his parents have NO fun while brushing his teeth, so I wondered how this would play out with me doing the deed. My fear was that I would NOT be successful.

He began to protest, and as I was getting serious about this task, I asked him what he didn't like about tooth brushing. Reply: the toothpaste. So, I very visibly to him wiped 75% of the toothpaste off on a nearby towel. Made one somewhat thorough round of brushing the teeth accompanied by mild protest; let him wipe his tongue on the same nearby towel (grandparents are allowed to do anything, remember) to get rid of any of the residual, offending toothpaste. Then, we talked about the benefits of toothbrushing, including the fact that he could now run his tongue over his teeth and they really felt clean. He did that, looked up at me and asked if I brush my teeth.

Now, the part you're waiting for -- contortionist book-reader. Practicing and teaching yoga should make this a snap. But, you try climbing into a single bed (his place of choice for bookreading), over a bed rail, while not disturbing the carefully placed wooden trains he had chosen to share in the reading. I made it - twice! Then, I had to get OUT of the bed after books were read.

We are reading an adult book about the building of the Intercontinental Railroad. This is "contortionist of the brain" stuff. How to make a book like this of interest to a 3-year-old. He loves trains; for over a year they have been his passion, literally! So, flip the pages, try to remember a bit of U.S. history, show the pictures, and create a story about how the railroads were built. Remember to use the trains that were present for the 'reading', and the 'snow globe' of the state of Texas. That's easy -- Texas has lots of cattle cars, right? This was mental contortionism, at it's height.

All these life experiences will serve a purpose in my yoga practice and teaching; and maybe they, too, are my yoga.

Enjoy Friday,

No comments: