Saturday, November 7, 2009

THE CHALLENGING JOB OF SUBBING; 22 DAYS

Fridays are usually pretty laid back for me -- I teach one class (10 am Gentle Yoga), then the rest of the day is mine to do with as I please. 

Yesterday, however, I offered to help a friend by subbing one of her corporate classes.  Got there in the nick of time, and walked into 4 people who were (or were not?) very happy to see me.  I took the plunge and began talking. 

My friend's focus this month in this class is core power.  Since I haven't seen specifically what she's been doing to cultivate that, I began with my trusty Hanuman story (remembering his power).  We centered, started warming up (I used this opportunity to practice a drill to help me find fewer words), then began moving through a few sun salutations.  A couple more wandered in, bringing the number to 6, and we continued.  I noticed - almost immediately - that several people were working on automatic pilot, doing my friend's version of salutations -- then when they realized I hadn't asked them to do that, they had to get back in sync.  An opportunity to pause for a 'beginner mind' reminder; how the presence of a sub gives us the gift of going back to that beginner mind and listening.  No more auto pilot. 

Core power is a good, great goal -- but, where does it come from?  So, we moved from sun salutations to vasisthasana variations - from very modified to stacked feet (opportunity to demo ACTIVE feet -- drawing energy up into the pose, allowing power to permeate the entire body - especially the core - and then the organic expansion happens); then one foot in vrksasana; then WILD THING.  My "air band" demo of Wild Thing (the song) brought forth laughter (oh no!), and the ice was broken.  From there some eka pada rajakapotasana variations, including quad stretches  Moved to dhanurasana.  The hour nearly over, they cooled down a bit and took a short savasana. 

Well, it was fun - and an opportunity to teach with abandon.  I may sub for her again (I will, if asked), I may not -- so, I allowed myself to throw off my self-imposed limitations and go for it. 

Sundari has had me do a similar exercise over the past year -- throw away the script and just teach.  It's fun -- it is challenging but also very freeing.  I love scripts, I love to know exactly where I'm headed.  I now have a new direction that I love, as well.

Almost 60 (22 days) and doing 'air band' demos !?!?!?  I guess getting older has some freeing elements to it, as well (if I allow them in). 

Enjoy your Saturday,

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

Air band demos ROCK!!!! I'm still here and reading. Glad you're out there writing.

Shanti

Doc