Wednesday, November 25, 2009

FEARLESS, FAITHFUL 4 (Four)

O.K., I've decided on a word (actually two words), now what?  Not sure -- but, they sound good. 

I've started a class at my studio called "Yoga Specific".  Each week, we focus on a different element (or body part).  A fun group is beginning to coalesce in the class and I am having some fun with coming up with topics for each week. 

The first class in December is titled "If you can't (your words), you won't".   At first glance, this may seem like a negative label for a class (probably is, but I didn't let that stop me).   When thinking about class topics, I reflected on the times I've said "I can't do that!".  Many times, what I am actually saying is "I won't do that."  So, I am very careful these days to stop before the word 'can't' works its way into my speaking, and re-phrase if needed. 

If I'm afraid of a pose or I'm afraid I'll fail in execution of a pose, my first instinct will be to say "I can't ...".   When I teach bakasana (crow/crane), I often tell students to "take a leap of faith - look forward and shift your weight forward, take the center of gravity more over your hands.  Now lift one foot, then the other."   To the newer student, if that isn't mixing fear with faith, I don't know what is.  To do exactly the opposite of what their mind is telling them -- 'hold back, don't put your head out there in that vulnerable spot, watch it!' 

So fear and faith, all in one pose. 

And, it keeps happening.  As I and my students progress, we keep getting these challenges, little nudges, asking us to trust in our strength, in our knowledge, in our dedication.  I, personally, don't plan to let the fear of falling or failure hold me back from my goals -- whether it be accomplishing pose or video'ing class, or whatever else life throws at me. 

In order to be 'fearless' (bold, daring, courageous),  we must simultaneously cultivate 'faithful' (loyalty, honesty, commitment).  If you disagree, remember this is my blog.

Yesterday didn't go quite as smoothly as we had planned.  Spent the weekend in Driggs, planned to leave the house at 9 am (plenty of time to get back for my 4 pm class).  That is, if the car would have started.  It (the car) finally cooperated shortly after noon.  Smooth sailing after that. 

Today, Gentle Yoga then yoga at the jail. -- polar opposites, but both offer a rewarding, yet challenging, teaching experience. 

Happy Day Before Thanksgiving,

No comments: