Sunday, December 6, 2009

MORE THAN I EXPECTED . .

Saturday was a fun teaching day for me.  I taught at 9, my regular "Level 1, Anusara-Inspired™" Yoga Class".  A student who has not attended before arrived and made the comment -- "this class sounded 'fancy', so I was reluctant to attend".  Perhaps I should scale the name back to just "Level 1".  Something to contemplate. 

FYI, my studio is anything BUT 'fancy'.  We are just regular people doing yoga.  What distinguishes us is the excellent quality of teaching at this studio.  I know this.  And, the great thing is that our students are making a point to share their good experiences with me  -- who could ask for a better compliment?

So, the 9 am class went as planned.  I video'd it - mainly for my own information.  One of Wayne's "needs polish" comments was that I be more 'in the seat' -- meaning more in command.  So that was my goal yesterday -- fewer choices, more commanding in my verbal instruction.  I feel like I did it.  I have yet to watch the video, so - we'll see.  Proof is in the pudding, it's said. 

I got a call just before my 9 am class started from Jacqueline, who teaches the next class.  A heads-up that she was in Ogden at an appointment, and worried that road construction and weather might delay her on-time arrival.  Would I wait?  Would I start the class, if needed?  Yes to both.  A call from her 5 minutes after her usual start-time, to tell me that it was snowing, roads were a mess, and she was in a single lane of traffic on I-15 going about 10 mph.  If she were lucky, she'd be an hour late.  So, we decided I better just teach the class.  This class is being introduced to Anusara® principles, so I was able to teach a similar class to the one I taught at 9. 

Theme - challenges are blessings, sometimes we have to dig deep to find the blessing, however; heart quality - steadfastness; UPA - muscle energy.  We did a nice slow warm-up using the breath, then through some standing poses and on to Ardha Chandrasana (this pose is a great one that demonstrates muscle energy from periphery to core -- at least to me).  Some 'ah-ha' moments in the group -- a good thing.  And, I had fun teaching.  They were open to me (even though I was a last-minute stand-in), and they put their 'beginner mind' hats on with gusto. 

As I sat during their savasana, I thought -- this could have gone two ways - good or bad.  It could have been a trainwreck if either my attitude or the students' attitudes had been unaccepting of the circumstance (For example, if my attitude had been "Oh dear, I have to teach another class!", or if their attitude had been "Oh no, we don't have our regular teacher.")

Then, the best part -- Jacqueline arrived during savasana (unknown to the students).  She and I sat at opposite sides of the room, looking over this great group of resting individuals.  Then she started chanting!  What a great way to have this class end -- I loved it!  And, I know the students appreciated her chant that, in a way, blanketed them with security and love.  Wonderful!

Challenge Update:  3 attempts to press-up yesterday.  Standing on BIG blocks, hands on floor, head & back pressing into wall, backside in the air.  Not a pretty sight, I'm sure; but the entry and exit are getting easier.  Also, no lift-off, but I was able (in this awkward position) to begin to feel and apply principles -- always a good sign for me that progress is being made.  

So, today's Sunday.  Cold and snowy, and I have two dogs staring at me wondering WHEN I am going to walk them.  Better get busy. 

Have a great Sunday,

No comments: