Monday, December 7, 2009

SHOVELING AND FEELING MY ARMS - Could that be the blessing of this challenge?

Sunday morning SLC awoke to a thin blanket of snow.  I walked the dogs, then shoveled it off.  It's cold enough that nothing was going to thaw and - rather than drive on it and make it a mess - thought it best to get the snow off.  It's so cold, that I think a leaf blower would have done the job. 

All this to tell you that I shoveled.  And, I felt my arms - big time.  This must be the result of trying to press-up to handstand several times each day.  Hopefully, it's a sign that the muscles in my arms will be stronger when this challenge is done.  (30-Day Tigress Challenge on Facebook). 

So, that is an update on Challenge #1 -- the press-up.  To date, my arms are sore.  No lift-off, but Amy promises to post some notes this week which, I hope, will contain some secret formula.  I'll keep you posted. 

Challenge #2 -- create and sustain a welcoming atmosphere in classes, and work on my own personal dealings with others.  I had a great opportunity on Saturday to do that in two classes; introduce everyone, that is.   On a personal level, I've been practicing my interpersonal skills whenever out in public shopping, etc.  Even on Facebook, I've been extending out a bit -- offering comments where appropriate and - hopefully - meaningful.  And, I took time yesterday, to acknowledge the help that instructors have been offering up at the studio. 

FYI, we no longer have a cleaning person at the studio.  That means, the work falls to me.  Not surprisingly, I am noticing that each instructor is stepping up and helping out when they have time and see something that needs taking care of.  That effort must be acknowledged, because I'm loving it.  I never thought I'd be so happy to see empty trash cans, or clean mirrors, or closed blinds -- certainly brings new meaning to "it's the little things". 

Challenge #3 -- Staying fluid, energetic, inspiring in my teaching.  Well that's a tall order, but one that I feel will be easy to handle.  Because - you see - I LOVE TEACHING!  Who knew that I would be here at this point in my life; who knew that I, a person who could barely utter 10 words to groups without hyperventilating due to nervousness, would be able to teach a 90-minute class and NOT be plagued by that same nervousness.  And, who knew, that I would still be reading and studying and practicing with passion many years after beginning to teach. 

As to other challenges, because there are 'others'.  My task will be to deal with these as they arise, look (sometimes deeply) for the blessing, and work through them.  Not all are as life-changing as the 3 I've chosen to highlight here.  Sometimes a challenge can be having to change course and sub a class at the last minute (as I did on Saturday).  Being able to work with those smaller challenges is equally important since they affect all the others --- how I handle small issues affects my overall attitude and approach to any bigger projects in my life. 

Today -- got to get my Drivers' License renewed, run errands, do laundry, and whatever else comes up. 

Enjoy Monday,

No comments: