Saturday, January 30, 2010

WHY NOT?

I debated telling people about my journey (see yesterday's post).  Many teachers I have met are pretty quiet about theirs.  I'm sure they tell the people close to them, but doubt they announce it on Facebook, or in their blogs, or in their studio newsletters.

My purpose was not to get accolades or garner support (though I appreciate and welcome any and all info, advice, support), the reason I chose to tell EVERYONE truly came from my own excitement.

Perhaps it also reflects a new attitude about myself.  That of accepting my greatness.  When I completed my Immersion studies with Martin & Jordan Kirk, we (the participants) sat in a circle, each of us reflected a bit on our experience, and at the end, Martin & Jordan (and BJ, who was assisting at that time - this was before she began 'rocking' the world with her own teachings) presented us all with a rose (I think) and a small, dime store-type pin (no offense).  Just a metal disc, with a pin attached to its back.  But what a powerful tool -- I have it today, hanging in one of the rooms I use most, I also carry it with me to workshops and trainings.  Why?  Because the message on that pin is "Accept Your Greatness", and I often need reminding of that.

I hope I never lose that pin -- it is a good reminder for me, for one who came into this practice of Anusara® with a 'less than' attitude, and who - to this day - has a tendency towards self-deprecation and a lot of inner critic.

Now, as much as I love the pin and the meaning attached to it, I find I am beginning to move out of the 'less than' mode and towards the 'great' mode.  Over and over in my head plays the tune "before the parade marches by" (sang both by Carol Channing & Barbra Streisand).  FYI, I'm a big Broadway fan.  So, what line sticks with me?  "before the parade marches by, I'm gonna get some life back into my life".

I once went into class with Adam Ballenger, right after hearing that tune.  At the start of class, Adam asked me a question, to which I blankly stared back at him.  Then, he asked what I was thinking about?  Well, having just heard that tune, the words and melody were strongly stuck in my head.  My response?  "Adam, you describe this class as a 'peppy' one, so I was just replaying the parade song in my head to get in that frame of mine".  Then I sang a few bars for the group.  Not sure he appreciated it, but it was true.

Once in a while, I really step out of my container!

So, all this to say, I am pleased, I am proud, I am excited, and I am so happy to be able to share these emotions with as many people as will listen.

Enjoy your Saturday,

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Leslie,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Also thank you for sharing that you are recognizing your own greatness. I think we are all conditioned not to recognize our own greatness nor celebrate it.

Yesterday's blog and facebook post were generous of you because I was able to feel your excitement and feel a part of it. Today's reminds me, too, to find the greatness in me and to also see it in everyone else.

Keep on going strong.
Love,
Marianne