Saturday, February 13, 2010

A BIG BEARHUG FINISHES IT OFF . . .

Maha Shivaratri -  from Wikipedia:  "According to tradition, the planetary positions on this night are such that there is a powerful natural upsurge of energy in the human system. It is said to be beneficial for one's physical and spiritual wellbeing to stay awake and aware throughout the night. On this day, artists from various fields such as music and dance perform the whole night." 

The day of Maha Shivaratri is determined by the Hindu calendar, and occurs in that space between the old and new moon cycle.  Hence, much emphasis on gateways or doors.  For example, when you're meditating or simply sitting and breathing, have you noticed that tiny space between your inhale and exhale or exhale and inhale?  If we choose to explore these 'gateways' new openings in our lives and our yoga will happen.

Theme of the day:  'What we think today will happen'.

Then a rockin' and demanding practice.  Two hours have never passed so quickly.

Sit down, 3 people in street clothes are on stage -- who are they?  Donna, from registration - who many of us have only had e-mail conversations with.  John's assistant, Jeff, and his friend joined her.  So nice to see the people we have the business interactions with at Anusara.  They were all introduced and welcomed with an extended round of applause.

On Monday, John mentioned there would be a 'quiz' at the end.  He quickly changed the word 'quiz' to 'empowerment review' - perhaps because he saw the looks of dread or panic in our eyes..  All week we anticipated this 'empowerment review'; some to the point of anxiety issues.   This was now the moment of the 'empowerment review' -- 24 pages of review.  Fortunately, he put all our minds to rest, as we (as a group) went through the first 6 and answered the questions.   The remainder, we take home and do as we can, referring to notes.

So, minds at rest over this "ER", we went back to the mats, journaled a bit, discussed our journaling with 2 friends, then practiced for another 30 minutes.  A short meditation, 'Namaste', and it (the week) was over.

As I sit here and reflect on the week, I can see part of his message clearly -- what we make of the moment, pose, opportunity, class, or training reflects our dedication to clearly seeing ourselves.  I am not to just do a pose, I must do my best pose, give it my best effort -- every time, because that time may be the last time.

I stood in one of the LONGEST lines ever to thank John for his commitment to help and guide us to do our best.  I'm not sure I did that (said 'thank you').  Why?  Because I was greeted with a bearhug, lifted off my feet, and spun around; then a few light comments, then I walked away.

In bed early last night (is 6 pm considered early?), asleep by 8:30.  I missed the Maha Shivaratri celebration, but I know my limits -- I was tired.

Today?  More yoga -- weekend workshop.

Enjoy Saturday,

No comments: